Monday, October 22, 2012

Tonights Example

I'm in the middle of an example to share with everyone. All day I've had the urge to self injure and at night is when things get really tough because I'm alone (usually) and my mind is sort of winding down for the night. While I get ready for bed the urge builds up and typically I would give in but tonight is different. As soon as I was about to do it I texted a friend from home. I didn't sugarcoat what I was feeling I just said it...

Me: I want to cut, it's been building up all day.
Friend: You've been so good lately.
Me: I know.
Friend: You don't need it. You know this.

His reaction was one of the few I can tolerate. What I mean by this is, often times when you approach someone in search of support they have a tendency to answer with things like "just don't do it" "you're hurting the people around you" "you're okay".  Sometimes this is because they don't fully understand and that's okay. You need to find a person you know well who you know will not talk down to you who will not judge you. Everyone has these people in their lives you just have to look. Take the time to find someone you can trust and approach them. Simply  ask them if you can call or message them any time anywhere for support. I have a handful of friends from school and from home who I can always count on. It's an amazing feeling to be in a bad mood one minute and then a great mood the next just because someone helped you through it. In my case tonight I can trust this friend, he has never talked down to me or made me feel guilty. He first reminded me of how good I've been doing which gives me a little hope that I can do it. Secondly he reminded me that I don't need it. I may want it but I don't need it. This approach is better than simply saying stop doing it. He is there for me 24/7 and I can easily tell him whats wrong. I don't approach all of my friends this way or my family. But for that select few if I tell them right away whats wrong to make it clear that I need support that is sometimes one of the best methods. Don't be afraid to speak up to someone you trust. Don't think you're bothering them or making them worry. If they care about you they won't mind you reaching out to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment