Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A Tip for College

I'm in my junior year of college and there is nothing worse than feeling guilt over missing a class. The truth is, if you're not feeling well and you know you won't be comfortable in class then don't go. Email your professor and tell them you're no feeling well. That's enough for an explanation. I get terrible anxiety in the morning before class especially this morning combined with being overly tired. I think of everything I need to get caught up, tests I need to study for, meetings I have to go to, and it causes a lot of stress. Often times bad days follow a bad night usually with some form of self injury that sort of gets my anxiety going before bed and it follows me to the next day. Sometimes I can barely sit through a lecture and I will have to leave class to walk around outside for a few minutes. Other times my medications make it impossible to sit through a lecture without falling asleep on my desk. If I know I am too tired to function in the morning I don't go to class and usually this only happens when I take my medications late  the night before. I know other students go through this because I know people at my school that struggle with it. If you can afford to miss class, so you're not missing a test or a study group etc... then take a day or a few hours to yourself. Sleep, get caught up on work you're stressed over, do something to calm you down. The only way you will feel good is to spend some time on you  even if its only a couple extra hours of sleep or a hot shower. It's important for you to feel comfortable not anyone else

2 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration! I am so proud of you for making your personal struggle known to possibly help others with their struggles! Definitely just having you in my life has helped me deal with my stress and anxiety--even if it is not exactly the same thing that you deal with. You are a great person who can get through anything! Know that I am here for you! And thanks for being there for me too. <3
    -BH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy you get something out of this blog. Whether you self injure or not I think my experiences can relate to a lot of different situations: anxiety, stress, depression, etc. Self injury is only a piece of the puzzle.

    ReplyDelete