Tuesday, December 25, 2012

An Inspirational Present

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone! I hope you're doing well and relaxing a bit before heading back to work or school. Tonight I wanted to share a present I received. A few days ago I knew what the majority of my presents were simply because I'm good at guessing. When I thought I was done unwrapping I found two small packages. I opened them and when I saw what was inside tears formed in my eyes but I quickly wiped them away. The first box held a beautiful silver bracelet with a heart charm. Engraved on it was the word "Stop". The other box held a black bracelet with small beads and a heart charm that says "You don't have to". These are two things I would write on the rubber bands I wore to distract me from my self injury. What I loved the most was that my parents remembered how important those rubber bands were to me. Now I have two beautiful long lasting reminders to help me get through some of the tough moments I face. It won't cure me of it but it'll help me get there. Please have a safe and healthy holiday. Think not only of yourself but others. Give to those in need. Comfort those in distress. And spend time with those you love and care for.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Emily my name is Amanda I came to this blog from your other blog Self Injury and the Body. I just read your interviews with self-injurers and would like to offer myself up for an interview because I think that might give hope to those who are struggling with self-injury. I self-injured for 5 years all throughout my adolescence and relapsed a couple times after I stopped cutting regularly, but have now not cut in three years (I'm 23) my email is abecca14@yahoo.com (my old email, my current email has my full name in it so I don't want to post it, as others have expressed concern about, I worry how my history with self injury and my scars might lead people to judge me)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'd love to talk but my emails aren't sending for some reason. I'll keep trying! Feel free to email me at egregorek729@aol.com
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what amazing gifts! I am so jealous of your family support. Of course, I could probably have it, too, but telling my parents about my struggles is extremely intimidating. Regardless, I love that gift idea and may use it for a friend who self-injures. (And, let's be honest, probably for myself, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talking about it with my parents is still intimidating. I find it's easier to leave my mom a note, Facebook message, or a text message. When I was in high school we communicated through notes we'd leave on each others pillows. I did this for years until I was ready to talk more and I still do it sometimes. I say things like "I just want to let you know that I'm having a hard time right now and I want your help but I'm not ready to "talk" about it yet". Now if I need to talk about it verbally instead of saying "I'm cutting more than normal" I say "My habit is getting a little out of control". If you want to talk about your struggles but you're scared to then try to word it differently. You're not a psychology text book. Put it in your own words to make it less scary. Just a suggestion, things that I've done. And I do suggest the bracelet for yourself and friends. Mine came from Things Remembered and a lot of the time they have bracelets on sale or a 2 for 1 deal. Lets you choose from silver or simple black or stones and stuff like that. I got my mom one a few years ago that says "Life's like a jumprope" after the Blue October song. And for yourself it is a nice reminder, I try to wear them as much as possible. Check the website and see what they have!

    ReplyDelete